US explains position on the UN General Assembly resolution on the Rwandan genocide

Since the 1994 Genocide in Rwanda and the establishment in 2003 of the “International Day of Reflection on the Genocide in Rwanda,” April 7 has become a solemn day to commemorate the more than 800,000 men, women, and children whose lives were lost during 100 days of unspeakable violence; the United States joins consensus with the entire UN General Assembly to support the continuation of this “International Day of Reflection on the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda” so that each year, we may continue to honor the victims and the survivors who carry the memories of these atrocities….

Read More

Domestic violence claims lives of four men in northern Uganda

Local leaders and residents from Sebei Sub-region, Nothern Uganda have expressed concern over rampant cases of domestic violence during the Covid-19 lockdown. According to police, four men have since been reportedly killed by their spouses in the last two months over domestic brawls in different sub-counties. More than 15 children have also been abandoned by their parents amid the rising cases of child abuse, according to the district community development officer of Kapchorwa, Ms Harriet Aseko. The Sipi regional police spokesperson, Mr Fredmark Chesang, confirmed the cases but said they have arrested the accused women on allegations of killing their…

Read More

Kenyan husband arrested for attempting to seal up his wife’s vagina with super glue

A Kenyan husband who allegedly attempted to seal up his wife’s sexual organs with super glue because he believed she was having four affairs, has been arrested. Named locally as Dennis Mumo, 36, the husband reportedly told officials he discovered messages his wife had been sending to men on social media, including nude photos. Whenever Mumo left his hometown of Kitui on business, he claims his wife was arranging to meet with other men. Before his last business trip to Rwanda, Mumo is accused of applying superglue to the unnamed woman’s genitalia leaving her in excruciating pain and requiring medical…

Read More

Prosecutor seeks transfer of Rwandan genocide suspect Kabuga to UN custody

Leading Rwandan genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga could be held initially in The Hague rather than Africa due to coronavirus travel restrictions after war crimes investigators requested his transfer into UN custody from France, a prosecutor said on Wednesday. Kabuga, 84, was detained in a Paris suburb on Saturday after a quarter century on the run. He was the most high-profile fugitive of the UN tribunal which tried suspects related to the 1994 massacres in Arusha, Tanzania. It closed years ago, but a successor body still operates there and in the Netherlands. “We already requested his transfer,” prosecutor Serge Brammertz said…

Read More

French trial for Rwandan genocide suspect delayed to 2021

The genocide trial of a French-Rwandan former hotel driver, scheduled for September in Paris, has been postponed to next year due to the coronavirus lockdown, a judicial source told AFP on Wednesday. Claude Muhayimana, formerly a driver at a hotel on Lake Kivu in western Rwanda, is accused of transporting Hutu militiamen to sites where massacres were carried out. His trial — the third in France over the 1994 Rwandan genocide — will now take place from February 2 to 26, said the source. Muhayimana faces charges of complicity in genocide and “aiding and abetting” crimes against humanity. The charges…

Read More

How Rwandan genocide fugitive managed to run businesses in Kenya

For several years, the government was cagey about businesses associated with Mr Felicien Kabuga, the suspect who was arguably Rwanda’s richest man at the time of the genocide. At some point, the former Attorney-General, Mr Amos Wako, and the Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr Keriako Tobiko, were taken to task by a Kenyan court to explain why it was unable to trace whoever was running Mr Kabuga’s business empire. In its response to court, the administration of Mr Daniel arap Moi claimed that Kenya Trust Company (KTC) Limited, which was collecting hundreds of thousands of shillings every month from apartments…

Read More

Man abducted as child in China reunited with parents after 32 years

A Chinese man kidnapped as a toddler 32 years ago has been reunited with his biological parents, after police used facial recognition technology to help track him down. Mao Yin was just two when he was snatched outside a hotel in Xi’an in central Shaanxi province in 1988 and sold to a childless couple in neighbouring Sichuan province who raised him as their own son, Xi’an’s public security bureau said in a statement. Police “aged” one of Mao’s childhood photos, according to state broadcaster CCTV, and used the model to scan the national database and find close matches. They were…

Read More

Ugandan woman remanded for forcing own daughter, 14, to have sex with men

A 36-year-old woman who is accused of forcing her 14-year-old daughter to have sex with different men in exchange for money has been arraigned in Makindye magistrate’s court in Kampala and charged with aggravated trafficking in children. Zura Mukamana, a resident of Masajja Kibira ‘B’ zone in Makindye-Ssabagabo has been jointly charged with one Fred Bulega, 41. They appeared before a grade one magistrate, Patience Ronah Tukundane, who did not allow them to say anything in court because their case is capital in nature only triable by the High Court. Prosecution claims that the two during the month of December…

Read More

Rwanda’s most wanted genocide fugitive arrested in France

Rwanda’s most wanted genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga was on Saturday arrested in Paris, the French justice ministry and the UN International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals announced. Kabuga, 84, has been living under a false identity in a flat in Asnieres-Sur-Seine, near Paris. He had evaded justice for 25 years as Rwanda relentlessly pursued his arrest. “The arrest of Kabuga today is a reminder that those responsible for genocide can be brought to account, even 26 years after their crimes,” said Serge Brammertz, chief prosecutor of The Hague-based Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT). “Our first thoughts must be with…

Read More

Coronavirus cases confirmed inside UN civilian protection site in South Sudan

The South Sudanese government has confirmed two cases of COVID-19 have been registered inside a civilians protection site in the capital, Juba. The site has about 30,000 people who sought protection there at the height of a civil war in the world’s youngest nation. According to the UN Peace Keeping Mission in South Sudan, although it’s devastating, the appearance of cases within one of the camps in the capital was not unexpected, given the rising number of cases confirmed within communities across the city. The country has so far confirmed 74 cases of COVID-19. Aid workers in South Sudan have…

Read More